We can’t believe it’s already been six weeks since we kicked off the summer 2012 JOLT cohort!
During month one, the startups were focused on building the foundational elements of their company. Under the broader theme of “The Direction”, the companies spent the majority of their time and energy on customer research and development and testing their product/market fit assumptions.
Here’s a recap of the JOLT workshops, special speaker sessions and office hours from weeks 1-6:
- Accounting Best Practices & Tools for Startups – James Lochrie, CTO & Founder of Wave Accounting
- Pitching your Startup – Peter Evans, CEO & Founder, Speakerfile
- Lean Stack & the Customer Development Process – Ash Maurya, Spark59
- Market Intelligence for Startups – Neha Khera & June Avila, MaRS Discovery District
- The Importance of Great User Design (UX/UI) – Jet Cooper
- Product Development Best Practices – The Working Group
- Intellectual Property – Anthony de Fazekas, Miller Thomson LLP
- Startup Metrics – Alistair Croll, Serial Entrepreneur, author of Lean Analytics
8 Speaker Sessions
- Maximizing Your Accelerator Experience: Fireside Chat with Startup Accelerator CEOs: Katherine Hague (ShopLocket/Extreme Startups); Winston Mok (Simply Good Technologies/TechStars Boston) and Nikolai Bratovski (HealthAware/Founders Fuel)
- Building Relationships & Engaging with the Media – Media Profiles
- Launching a Startup: The Good, the Bad & the Ugly – Dan Martell, Serial Entrepreneur, Founder Clarity.fm
- Intro to Venture Capital – Mark Evans, Partner, Balderton Capital
- Branding 101 – Mike Bott, Managing Director, The Brandery
- Building For Exit – Randy Smerik, Angel Investor, Serial Entrepreneur, CEO Tarari Inc.
- Raising Venture Capital – Derek Smyth, OMERS
5 Mentor Office Hours
- Scott Pelton, Round 13 Capital
- Derek Smyth, OMERS
- JET Cooper
- The Working Group
- Anthony De Fazekas, Miller Thomson
Here’s to another busy busy six weeks ahead.